We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

16.4.18

So High Climbs the Price When You Want a Thing

Poetry month, day 15

















So High Climbs the Price When You Want a Thing

so much you want it that you pay the price – Villon


Bali 1973.
Sanur beach.
A row of tiny shops.

The hollowed stump 
of a coconut palm
remade as bowl and lid,
painstakingly carved.

Bill saw my look –
fleeting, 
but he knew me. 

He began haggling.
I walked out.
Mustn't show
my huge desire.

Afterwards: "How 
are we going to get it 
back home on the plane?"

Clothes packed in
as well as around it,
inside our trunk.
Excess luggage fee.

Still worth it, 55 years on;
gracing my hallway,
holding my oracle cards.


For Serendipity and a poet at "imaginary garden with real toads".

4 comments:

  1. Luv your photo of you carved bowl. Rosemary and the direction in which the prompt took you . Thanks for sharing this lovely memoire


    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!!💜 I can see why it caught your eye 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad he bought it for you. A treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect for the quote - and it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!