We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

18.3.18

Contemplating My Friend Yasoda



Contemplating My Friend Yasoda

The lady of laughter
and practical kindness
has gone from sturdy to frail
in just a few months.

We think, when we hear,
"This many months left to live"
that they will be lived as normal.
Instead, dying's a progression.

In December I visited her at home,
in January at the hospital,
and in February the hospice.
She was smiling every time.

I gave her a bracelet of honey calcite 
labelled For Happiness. "A bit ridiculous,"
I said. "You're the happiest person 
I've ever known." Then I filled it with Reiki.

Her children thanked me as I left.
One of her daughters was cuddled up
next to her on the bed. The window view
was full of leafy trees. The day was balmy.

Last year we gathered for lunch
at the Rainforest Café – at a long table
outdoors, twenty or so good friends
feasting together on the bank of the stream.

I was sitting directly opposite Yasoda.
She threw back her head, laughing free –
but later patted her belly, muttering
about the hernia she thought she had.

I remember the time I said to her,
"Whenever someone's in need,
you're always there." She smiled, 
a trifle bemused. For her, it was just normal.

When our "wisdom circle" studied the book 
on the various origins of our souls,
it was clear to us all, she was Angel
incarnated here, still being of service.

This poem has no easy, obvious end.
As I write, her life hasn’t ended yet.
And even when it does – which now we hope 
may be soon – for us, she will not be ended.

14/3/18













Yasoda at the Rainforest Café, October 2017


Message received today:
Our Beautiful Yasoda left this Plane of Existence yesterday (Saturday 17/3/2018) at about 3pm.  She was surrounded by Her Loved Ones and had a Peaceful & quite Beautiful Passing.

She will be greatly missed by many but is now free from pain & safe and happy in the arms of The Divine. 

A Truly Beautiful Soul whose Heart Shone Always. 

10 comments:

  1. Rosemary, how beautifully you have written who she was. They say as we live, so shall we die, so i am not surprised her death was as loving and peaceful as she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful your write, and so perfect. Just as it should be. The light goes out slowly. I am sorry Yasoda had to leave, but I am also sure it was time for her to go. We each have a time that is ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... that usually becomes obvious, I think, particularly in a lingering death. By the time she went, she was ready to go.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful ode to your friend Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant, Rosemary! May her spirit live on in all who knew her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very moving Rosemary, lovely words of a friend well-loved, May her spirit remain in your memory - which I am sure it will.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. belatedly catching up with this elegiac poem to Yasoda - struck by the depth of love and friendship shared between you - makes all our lives worth the living. No other words to say but thank you both

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very beautiful tribute to your friend. How fortunate you were to have an angel in your life. I could read this over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tribute to your dear friend...who was beautiful even in passing. May you be comforted.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!