We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

17.2.18

NaHaiWriMo 2018 Week 2


NaHaiWriMo 2018 Week 2

My responses to the prompts for week 2 of NaHaiWriMo (National Haiku Writing Month, which is actually international and happens on facebook). Luckily we are allowed to go wherever a prompt takes us; we don't have to stick literally to the exact words or image.


PROMPT #8: PAINTBOX


shut the door
on this cold grey day –
fetch the paints!


PROMPT #9: BEATING THE HEAT


late summer
my cat flat on the floor
stretches flatter

***

driving no aircon
I turn my mind
to haiku


PROMPT #10: INDIAN COTTON SHIRTS

thin cotton shirt
skimming his torso
that summer


PROMPT #11 PILSNER GLASSES

they click glasses –
outside in the heat
distant thunder


PROMPT #12: THE BUTTON AT THE TOP OF A BASEBALL CAP

in the street
the kids have hits, thwack! –
he adjusts his cap



PROMPT #13: THE LITTLE STORE ON THE CORNER

cat food
and ice-cream –
last minute


PROMPT #14: PULLING TAFFY


toffee
sticks to my teeth –
sweet dreams


Also shared via Poets United's Poetry Pantry #393

23 comments:

  1. I love these Rosemary...little snippets of life. I was not aware of this challenge and will mark it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there are new prompts each month, from a different prompter each time, and many people keep haiku-ing there all year. You don't have to wait until next year if you'd like to play sooner. But February is THE month, when many more of us join in. And you could join in right now for the 10 days left, if you wish.

      Delete
  2. A delightful collection - full of life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous snippets of life, Rosemary!💞 I smiled at "driving no aircon I turn my mind to haiku."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine your eyes darting about witnessing each scene making the Haiku appear as if by magic! Loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps they are "peeps," little slices of life...lives are made up of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the first one, the rush of the request is just perfect. And the last one made me think of my teeth's relationship with coffee nips. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, such delightful and witty poetry.
    yes, those indian cotton fabrics are rather thin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "driving no aircon" - I can understand :) good to distract and what better than poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love them... but the image of the cat really got me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luv the action in this one; my favourite
    PROMPT #12: THE BUTTON AT THE TOP OF A BASEBALL CAP

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these snapshots....life from all angles. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like paints on a gray day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paints on a grey day - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These conjure such delightful pictures in my mind. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! I like the flat cat and maybe icecream and catfood but that one also makes me go "ewww."

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are wonderful! I love the closing line on the 'cotton shirt' piece ... so sweetly sensual ... such a perfect, delicate memory ~ ~ ~ it floats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful write Rosemary. Covering all aspects of life. Especially like it so spiced with much humor

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  18. big impact with a few choice words... nice

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!